Parshelsky Brothers move in

While I've typed and said "Englander" and "Goldberger" so many times til it's boring, I never thought I'd find out about another tenant in 538 Johnson...ish.

While systematically Google searching all the businesses around the Varick Freight Yard on the Bob Emery rail maps, I saw a notation about the Goldberger factory side track: "Ex-Siding of Englander Spring Bed Co. -- 1924, Parshelsky Bros. in 1--" the scanned image on that website is cropped and I cannot determine the rest of the date.

However I am glad to see this, because I keep looking at the wall dogs and I see other ghost letters in there. One of these places is over the facade of the mezzanine building's doors. In the 1980s tax photos it really seems like there are two lines of type in wall dog.



And I don't think that any of these letters say Englander or Goldberger. After searching on line with a few terms, I started to get lucky and found this:

American Machinist, Vol. 50, 1919

I had seen their factory was on Morgan and Montrose, this is the first time I'd been able to say the factory comes after the Johnson Ave location. The Parshelsky Brothers warehouse existed, with a facade on Ingraham, Stewart (?) and the Varick Freight Yards. Who knows what they wrote on that building.

The Parshelsky Brothers Warehouse, 1916

We have discovered a forgotten tenant, manufacturer of window sashes and frames, in the mezzanine building (possibly more) as early as 1916. Which reinforces my feeling that there is a lot about the mezzanine we don't know.


Comments

Popular Posts